PROGRAM AND PRESENTATIONS 2016
See the presentation videos here.
Event Moderator: Petteri Järvinen
10:30 Opening the Forest & Photonics 2016
Keynote speech, Photons to Forests to the Global Carbon Cycle, Jack A. Kaye, National Aeronautics and Space Administration NASA
Keynote speech, Strengthening the role of forests in the bioeconomy through innovation, Robert Mavsar, European Forest Institute
12:00 Lunch Break
13:00 Forest Inventory
- Multispectral satellite imagery and airborne laser scanning in assessing boreal and tropical timber volume and forest biomass and carbon, Vesa Leppänen, Arbonaut Ltd
- Multi-purpose forest inventory - LIDAR data for optimizing forest road maintenance, Blanca Sanz, UEF
- Function-oriented fuzzy microcontrollers in forest inventory, Alexei E. Vassiliev and Tatiana Yu. Ivanova, Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
- Volume and quality estimation of wood chips using photogrammetry and texture analysis, Jukka Antikainen, Natural Resources Institute Finland
14:20 Coffee Break
14:40 Supply Chain
- Solutions, challenges and opportunities in forestry machinery automation, Marko Paakkunainen, John Deere Forestry Ltd
- Improved accuracy by automated calibration of harvester measuring unit, Jukka Malinen, UEF
- Strength grading of spruce logs before bucking by harvester, Asmo Varis, Stora Enso Wood Products
16.00 Supply Chain continues
- Challenges for sensor technology in wood supply chain, Tapio Räsänen, Metsäteho Ltd
- Automated system to measure stilbene content of solid heartwood of Scots pine, Susanna Pulkka, Natural Resources Institute Finland
16:40 Keynote speech, Digital Forestry, Harri Kopola, VTT - Technical Research Centre of Finland
17:00 Evening program
17:30 Sunset at Ukko-Koli viewpoint with Kalevi Rantanen and his book of light.
- Unique Trail of Light installation by award winning light artist Kari Kola.
- Relaxing Spa
20:00 Finnish Cuisine buffet with live jazz-music and networking.
- How optics is used for measuring systems in lumber industry, special features and challenges, Jyrki Huttunen, Oplatek Group Ltd
- How photonics is used in wood industry, Jyrki Pesonen, Raute Ltd Mecano
- Optical measuring in paper machines, applications and future possibilities, Markku Mäntylä, Valmet Automation
- UAV based forest inventory utilizing multiangular and multispectral imagery, Eugene Lopatin, Natural Resources Institute Finland
11:40 Lunch Break
12.40 Virtual Reality
- Gaze tracking and training for harvester operators, Roman Bednarik, UEF
- HUD for forest machine based on laser diode DLP engine Marina Letunovskaya, ITMO University, Saint-Petersburg
- Forest machine operator´s skills: profiling and improvement, Mikko Saarimaa, North Karelia college, Valtimo
- Case study: From device sales to smart devices and value adding services, Jani Akkila, Process Genius Ltd
14:00 Summary and conclusion of Forest & Photonics 2016. Announcing the date for Forest & Photonics 2017.
15.30 The bus leaves to Joensuu Airport